What is Dual Immersion?
Immersion emphasizes bi-literacy, bilingualism, and bi-culturalism from as early as Kindergarten. The main differences between your neighborhood school and a dual immersion school (or traditional school with an option to choose a dual immersion program) is that dual immersion involves...
- some form of dual language instruction, where the target language (ex: Spanish) is used for at least 50% of the instructional day throughout elementary school.
- periods of instruction during which only one language is used.
- Curriculum & Instruction
- Standards-based curriculum
- Effective teaching strategies
- Multi-cultural education
- Effective bilingual & foreign language instruction
- Integrating content and language
- Assessment & program evaluation
- Effective schools
- Staff qualifications & professional development
- Parent involvement